[linux-dvb] Fwd: Re: Linux HDTV

Sorry, I didn't realize that the list isn't included in the Reply-To

Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Linux HDTV
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:08:30 -0700
From: Mike Bourgeous <nitrogen@slimetech.com>
To: Rene Bartsch <ml@bartschnet.de>

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 12:33, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> P.S.: It also should be possible to watch HDTV with a cheap low-budget
> card and a software-decoder. But this will need a machine > 2.5 GHz.
> Eventually a graphic-card with MPEG-support under Linux (e.g. Nvidia)
> could decrease the need of horse-powers.

The MyHD, with complete hardware decoding and an ATSC tuner, is only $200 USD
right now.  For HDTV, that is pretty low budget.  It has its own sync
generator, so it can be hooked up to a separate monitor, or it can send YUV
data to the system for video card overlay.  It only needs an 800MHz-1GHz
machine with a pretty fast hard drive to record and playback streams.  I
don't know if it can play back a different stream than it is recording yet
(for timeshifting).

--
Mike Bourgeous
nitrogen@slimetech.com