[linux-dvb] Fwd: Re: Linux HDTV

Sorry, I didn't realize that the list isn't included in the Reply-To

Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Linux HDTV
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:02:41 -0700
From: Mike Bourgeous <nitrogen@slimetech.com>
To: Mark Lehrer <mark@knm.org>

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 12:36, Mark Lehrer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:22:33PM -0700, Mike Bourgeous wrote:
> > I noticed in the mailing list archives for this list that not too
> > long ago someone was looking for anybody working on an HDTV card
> > driver for Linux.  The MyHD card (based on Teralogic TL880) from
> > Macro Image Technology in Korea (http://www.mitinc.co.kr/) has
> > drivers with debugging symbols intact, making reverse engineering
> > pretty easy.  I've put up a SourceForge page at
> > http://myhd.sourceforge.net/ (nothing is there yet; everything
> > happens on the
>
> You are my personal savior for figuring this out.  I have a hopefully
> similar card, the Hauppage WinTV-HD (Teralogic 880-based).  I will
> be joining your project, and I know some other folks who are
> interested too.

I'm actually not the original person to discover that the driver has debug
symbols.  I read about it on AVSforum.  There was someone else who was
working on a driver, but hasn't contributed too much to my project.  He
figured out quite a bit about the class structure in the driver, but I don't
know how far he is beyond that.  As far as I know, I'm the only one to
identify some of the registers' bits so far, or to extract the microcode from
the driver (note that I can't upload the microcode yet..).

> I was looking at ways to reverse-engineer the janus.sys that came with
> my card but this is way outside of my expertise... but I have written
> Linux device drivers before at least.

It's just a matter of looking at the disassembly of the driver to find what
values get written to what registers in what order.  Once the driver for the
MyHD is written, it should be fairly easy to add support for other TL880
cards, since the tuner is controlled by I2C, and I think most tuners have
publicly available specs.  The TL880 is also supposed to have the same
interface as the TL850, so once the TL880 driver is done, if anyone has a
TL850-based DVB card it shouldn't be extremely difficult for them to add it.

I can definitely use some help from someone with more kernel driver
 experience though.  I've never written any kernel stuff from scratch (just
 modified a few things unrelated to drivers).  I've always accessed hardware
 from userland, but that will be too clumsy in the long run, and accessing
 the PCI configuration space directly is difficult from userland from what I
understand.

--
Mike Bourgeous
nitrogen@slimetech.com