[linux-dvb] Driver problem with a Hauppauge Nova: Erroneous unsupported PLL synthesizer

Hi, today, we received another Hauppauge Nova card. This should be supported
fine under the DVB drivers, however, there was a problem.

It appears to be a standard card with a SAA7146A, a STV0299B frontend, and a
SU1278/SH PLL generator.

Hauppauge have recently released a version of the Nova with a CI on it. This
card does NOT have a CI interface, although they're obviously the same board,
as it has the positions for the CI interface components etc.. just that
they're missing. This differs from the other Novas I've seen in that they
were a different board revision (missing even the positions for the CI
components).

Anyway, this board has the PCI device ID of the board with a CI, and so
requires the dvb-ttpci-budget-ci driver.

Here's the problem: The STV0299B was detected fine, BUT it did not detect the
SU1278/SH (came up with the "unknown PLL synthesizer; report this to the
mailing list" error). However, according to the sticker on the tuner, it does
contain an SU1278/SH.

I investigated a bit. I added some trace statements and additional i2c bus
accesses. I discovered that every SECOND i2c bus access succeded. I traced
this down to saa7146_i2c.c/saa7146_i2c_transfer(). When it writes the data to
the bus, it checks for errors. There is a special check for an i2c
address-error... if this occurs, the write is abandoned with no retries and
returns with EREMOTEIO. As a test, I disabled this piece of code, and now the
tuner is detected fine.. I can even tune and use the card as normal.

However, this is not a solution. To transfer something on the i2c bus, you
have to write it twice every time (first time fails with an address error,
second time succeeds). I assume this means something is slightly different
about this newer board revision.

I will start investigating this myself tomorrow... but just in case someone
can spot the solution immediately...

Incidentally, the card works perfectly under Windows.

--
adq