[linux-dvb] Driver problem with a Hauppauge Nova: Erroneous unsupported PLL synthesizer

Andrew de Quincey writes:

 > Hi, today, we received another Hauppauge Nova card. This should be supported
 > fine under the DVB drivers, however, there was a problem.
 >
 > It appears to be a standard card with a SAA7146A, a STV0299B frontend, and a
 > SU1278/SH PLL generator.

Just to set the terminology straight:
The SU1278/SH is the whole thing called frontend. A digital frontend
normally consists of a PLL and a demodulator and other non-programmable parts.
Here the PLL and demodulator are the tsa5059 and the stv0299b.

 > I investigated a bit. I added some trace statements and additional i2c bus
 > accesses. I discovered that every SECOND i2c bus access succeded. I traced
 > this down to saa7146_i2c.c/saa7146_i2c_transfer(). When it writes the data to
 > the bus, it checks for errors. There is a special check for an i2c
 > address-error... if this occurs, the write is abandoned with no retries and
 > returns with EREMOTEIO. As a test, I disabled this piece of code, and now the
 > tuner is detected fine.. I can even tune and use the card as normal.
 >
 > However, this is not a solution. To transfer something on the i2c bus, you
 > have to write it twice every time (first time fails with an address error,
 > second time succeeds). I assume this means something is slightly different
 > about this newer board revision.

Does this only happen on transfers to the PLL? If yes, is it done
in two transfer steps or in one (double) transfer in the driver you
are using? Otherwise I cannot think of much else that can go wrong.
For me the SU1278/SH works fine on different kinds of hardware (KNC DVB-S
with SAA7146 and Flyvideo DVB-S with SAA7130).

Ralph