[linux-dvb] Re: Driver problem with a Hauppauge Nova: Erroneous unsupported PLL synthesizer

>  > I investigated a bit. I added some trace statements and additional i2c
>  > bus accesses. I discovered that every SECOND i2c bus access succeded. I
>  > traced this down to saa7146_i2c.c/saa7146_i2c_transfer(). When it writes
>  > the data to the bus, it checks for errors. There is a special check for
>  > an i2c address-error... if this occurs, the write is abandoned with no
>  > retries and returns with EREMOTEIO. As a test, I disabled this piece of
>  > code, and now the tuner is detected fine.. I can even tune and use the
>  > card as normal.
>  >
>  > However, this is not a solution. To transfer something on the i2c bus,
>  > you have to write it twice every time (first time fails with an address
>  > error, second time succeeds). I assume this means something is slightly
>  > different about this newer board revision.
>
> Does this only happen on transfers to the PLL? If yes, is it done
> in two transfer steps or in one (double) transfer in the driver you
> are using? Otherwise I cannot think of much else that can go wrong.
> For me the SU1278/SH works fine on different kinds of hardware (KNC DVB-S
> with SAA7146 and Flyvideo DVB-S with SAA7130).

Its an SAA7146-based card, so its just using the standard i2c code in
saa7146_i2c.c

I'm getting really really suspicious of that card:
a) It has this weird i2c problem

b) That machine has suddenly starting crashing an awful lot since I put the
card in. A moment ago, I didn't even DO anything with the card.. I just
insmod/rmmodded the drivers twice... I know this does some initialisation,
but I've never seen this with my SAA7146-based DVB-T cards.

c) Apart from having the additional places for the CI stuff, that card is
using the same chip revisions as everyone else's so there shouldn't *be* any
problems.

Oh, I tried adding the PCI device id to dvb-budget.c to check it wasn't
something odd the dvb-budget-ci.c was doing.... it still had the same
problems.

Does anyone else have a Hauppauge Nova card working in parallel with a
Hauppauge Nova-T card (or their equivalents)? I think this card is duff, and
I just want to check that it IS supported (I _know_ it is, but I have to
confirm it).

--
adq