[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

> No the OEM provides the tables. Have you ever used a digital
> receiver. Most of them come with preprogrammed transponder and channel

I Never got any STB receiver really.

> lists. Which are sometimes updated by a channel search by the user or
> a firmware update by the OEM.

I see.

> It may also cause security and stability problems.

Security maybe. Stability stands on a clean design
and using already debugged building blocks instead of
reimplemetation of the whell ...

> The kernel should not care about the pids. The user space program sets
> the demux filters and scans for new channels if needed. It's not the
> job of the kernel to do that.

Yes and no. For software only demux no. For hardware accelerated
chips yes, kernel must do it. Take your av7110 for example.
Channel scan has to be supported by the firmware, am I right?

> You don't write configuration files from kernel space.
> Otherwise exactly this is done by user space programs.

Configuration file is written by userspace daemon.
For hardware acclerated bypass, it has to provide
vendor specific ioctl that can allow dumping something
to file from kernel space... sorry if I was rushing
and not elaborating every signle detail. I know what
I want as final functionality and try to map it in
some simple way.

> What kernel have you been looking at?
> A PID is not a device like a USB device or a PCMCIA card.

Why not let it be like a USB video camera device with sound,
Recordable with streamer, instead of using some cumbersome
hardware specific applications like VDR.

> The user uses user space programs that are written by people who know
> what they are doing and not the kernel directly.

Right. But let the user choose among many simpler programs
written by various people instead to force them to use only one
program written by someone who knows all the knowledge.

Unix philosophy is to use lots of simple elementary tools
with data throughput overhead, and not to bundle everything
in one efficent huge monolythic program full of bugs noone
is willing to fix.

> For a mosaic you need several MPEG decoders. You either need special hardware
> for that or very fast/ several CPUs. I don't know what you are

Very fast CPU will do.

> dreaming about. STBs are usually just "normal" CPUs (arm, mips, i386, ppc)

It's the future. With current low performance cpus I don't expect
anything better than they already do

Emard