[linux-dvb] Some success with HDTV under Linux

Hello all,

(Apologies in advance for hijacking the list for Linux ATSC.)

Just a short followup from my last email in December. I have had initial
success watching ATSC HDTV under Linux, doing it "the hard way." I
went ahead and bought a Drake Digital TD8VSB ATSC off-air demodulator
($375 educational), plus a Dektec DTA-122 DVB/SPI (LVDS) input adapter
($770 educational with GPL Linux drivers).

The end result is that I can now capture a complete 19.4 megabits/sec
ATSC bitstream under Linux, and watch and listen to it in real time
with a52dec/mpeg2dec. (Not at the same time yet, and certainly not
in sync, but surely somebody will get transport stream support working
for mplayer.)

The $375 Drake demodulator is probably not acceptable to people trying
to build a PVR, because the only way to change the channel is with
buttons on the front. But if you're a purist and all you want to do is
watch The West Wing "the right way" (i.e. synced to a 96 khz refresh
at 24 progressive frames per second) when they start broadcasting it
in 1080/24P (as apparently NBC will start doing next season), this looks
like it may be one way to go. And of course you can save and replay
the 20 megabit/sec bitstreams to your heart's content.

(I am at the moment listening to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood as it is
broadcast by WHDH (digital channel 19 pid 0x24 in Boston).)

Cheers,
Keith
keithw@mit.edu

P.S. You have to use the CVS snapshot of a52dec or else there is
a bug with most broadcast A/52 streams.