[linux-dvb] Re: Announcement: work on "dvb-kernel" finished

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 08:15:25AM +0100, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Holger Waechtler wrote:
> > >
> > > that's kind of a design flaw in the keyboard input driver. If you
> > > don't use USB keyboards you can safely disable this driver, but
> > > on the long run it would be nice if somebody would add a 'send
> > > events from this device through the keyboard layer' flag to the
> > > input device struct.
> >
> > Sure? With 2.4.x kernels it's possible to disable the driver
> > because only USB stuff uses the input driver. With 2.5.x *all*
> > keyboard input is passed through the input driver. No way to
> > disable this if you need a keyboard. :-(
>
> It's not a design flaw in the input core itself, it's a missing
> feature of the console system, where you should be able to configure
> which input devices are bound to it. At the very moment you'll have
> to patch keyboard.c to only accept the keyboards you want.

I already did this, but it's is not a solution for end users.
IMHO it's not a good idea to mix keystrokes from different devices in
the console driver. You might get very funny results.

> Also, in the next 2.5 release there will be an EVIOCGRAB ioctl()
> which will allow an application to completely grab an input device,
> making it unavailable to anyone else, including console.

Ok, I'll modify the remote control plugin for vdr as soon as this will
be available. Thanks.

Oliver