[linux-dvb] Which distro works out of the box for DVB?

Hi

Me and my 9 year old son ran into known problem trying to install a driver for DVB:
makefile: 104: /usr/src/linux/Rules.make: No such file or directory...
We made it that far but offered solution (to do something naughty to kernel :)
"get a fresh kernel, configure, build and install it properly "
is beyond our abilities at the moment. Hence - the question:

Perhaps someone knows for sure a particular version  of a particular flavour
which would allow us to install it without a fuss.

We have tried RH8 and RH9 with linux-dvb.2003-02-16 and linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0-pre2.
We have dedicated box with WinDVB-S 1.6

Thanks

PS. Perhaps a good natured soul with some time on their hands
would lead us through that kernel thing? Please PM.