[linux-dvb] how-to for newbies

Hello
    Is there any chance a kind soul would write one?
I have been struggling to get my nebula (simply apply the kernel patches)
card to work - and have tried different kernels - installed different
version of bttv patched the kernels, installed dvb-kernel, the list goes on
and on.  But the bloody thing doesn't work.  And each step has a nasty habit
of stopping linux working at all.  My task for the evening is to try and
figure how installing dvb-kernel has stopped X from loading.....  i can
think of more things to do!
Any tips? Clues - or should i just give up.

Robin