[linux-dvb] Re: how-to for newbies

>     Is there any chance a kind soul would write one?

I've knocked up a quick how-to on getting the kernel source configured and
ready for building modules (any modules, it's not linux dvb specific)
against.  It's aimed at people who don't want to build their own kernel, but
rather use the one that came with their distribution.  It's a bit rough
around the edges, mind ;)

You can find it here:
http://giblets.org/howto/kernel-modules.html

> I have been struggling to get my nebula (simply apply the kernel patches)
> card to work - and have tried different kernels - installed different
> version of bttv patched the kernels, installed dvb-kernel, the list goes on
> and on.  But the bloody thing doesn't work.  And each step has a nasty
> habit of stopping linux working at all.  My task for the evening is to try
> and figure how installing dvb-kernel has stopped X from loading.....  i can
> think of more things to do!

Please provide some details as to what it is that isn't working.  It would
also be useful to know what kernel you're using, what patches you've applied,
and any error messages you've encountered.  The odds are that someone can
help you out pretty quickly if you can do this.

> Any tips? Clues - or should i just give up.

Don't give up, that won't get your card working ;)

Try setting debug=1 when you insmod the modules.  Have a poke around in the
syslogs.  Try and figure out exactly what is failing.  Don't keep trying
different versions, pick the latest stable (or unstable if your hardware
isn't supported by stable) and stick with it until you know where the problem
lies.  Otherwise, you're just constantly moving the goalposts.

When things get really frustrating, stop for a break and a beer equivalent ;)

Cheers,
Alex