[linux-dvb] LinuxDVB v4 API proposal

Hi all,

we uploaded the v4 API proposal header files in a module called dvb-kernel-v4 into the LinuxTV CVS repository. You can view the files online, too:
http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/dvb-kernel-v4/linux/include/linux/dvb/

Basically the aim of these changes is to get all the odd things clean, we're now prefixing everything with DVB_XXX. Some more verbose info and GET_CAPABILITIES ioctls are added.

Stream routing is now source oriented, every device has a DVB_XXXX_SET_SOURCE ioctl to select the source stream.

The demux device allows to use only one filedescriptor for multiple filters in addition to the current approach of one fd per logical filter. It can now handle TS output directly, the DVR device will disappear. The new API supports PS input.

Descrambler control is now part of the demux device, this maps better to existing hardware.

The MPEG decoder devices can now handle both PES and ES input (if the hardware allows this - ), we added a more sophisticated presentation format notification to user space. DVD menu rendering was removed from the MPEG decoder API, this does not really belongs there.

Please review and comment these proposals, new ideas are welcome. It's all only a base for continuing discussion right now, nothing is fixed until somebody starts actual coding...
:)

Holger