[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T capture devices suitable for Australia?

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> Basically all communication is going over the mailing list, so browse
> the mailing list archives for details. The actual design files are
> hosted in the LinuxTV CVS, directory dvb-hw/. You can browse this online
> on http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/dvb-hw/dvbusb-fx2/.

Thanks for the link:  I'll look into it.

At the moment I'm only running a Win98 system, but starting a dual boot
with
 Mandrake 9 to cut my teeth on Linux.

> Right now the state is that we built a few prototypes. After fixing some
> minor hardware bugs (listed in the rev1 file section,
> http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/dvb-hw/dvbusb-fx2/schematic/rev1/)
> everything seems to work alright, the power supplies are stable and
> deliver clean voltages.

Do you have some idea of cost and availability for the complete unit?

> So right now we're developing the firmware and the driver
> (http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/dvb-hw/dvbusb-fx2/firmware/ and
> http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/dvb-hw/dvbusb-fx2/driver/)
>
> Basic USB control and bulk communication is implemented and works, i2c
> communication too. The frontend driver is written, the frontend is
> pretty sensitive and tunes fine to all 7MHz VHF + 8MHz UHF channels here
> in Berlin.

Hmmm, I think in Australia we use 7MHz channel spacing for both VHF and
UHF, so would the frontend be suitable for here?

> Right now we're working on the GPIF code and the isochronous stream
> setup code, I'm sure it will still take a while until everything is
> working flawlessly...

It might be worthwhile obtaining a unit to test out under Australian
conditions, in parallel with the firmware/software development, to see
if it is suitable for a market here.  One of the differences is that we
have some HDTV (minimal at the moment but planned to increase soon) as
well as SDTV, which would be interesting to pursue since I don't think
commercial DTV cards will support HDTV initially, even when they are
eventually released.

How would a unit be obtainable, what construction would be necessary and
is there an estimate of cost?

Is there an acknowledged name for the device that saves me having to
keep referring to it indirectly? ;-)

Ian