[linux-dvb] Re: TS -> PS stream - How?

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> Don't you only have one demux device though?  ie if the problem is to get 3
> PS or PES streams (I don't know what the difference is?) then it isn't
> possible to do anything except program up the registers to get 3 streams as
> a TS out of the dvr device?
>
> The point is that mythtv has some existing code which reads a PS into a
> nuppelvideo container and is really designed for recording analogue tv out
> of a v4l device.  The best bolt on to this code is to provide a tuner device
> which can supply a single demux PS so that we can replace the v4l compress
> code.  However, it would also be nice to simulate the effect of having extra
> tuners where possible so that we can record two streams (only if they are on
> the same mux of course).
>
> I don't think this is particularly a bodge, but I would like to get
> something working and to be honest I don't really understand what a
> PS/PES/TS stream really is....
>
> Thanks

Believe me (I passed through it): if the bitrate is very high, as for HDTV
streams,  demuxing is already heavy enough; if you add code to  remux your
ts  to ps your application could become unusable.

I suggest you to add to mythtv one of the many TS demuxers available: I
added a limited (and still unfinished) version of xine's to mplayer, but
there others available:
a very small one is in ffmpeg (not always reliable, though); another one
in VLC (bigger but evidently implemented reading the standard); you only
have to choose.

Best regards,

		Nico