[linux-dvb] Re: newbie getting crazy with szap, dvbtune, tuxview...

	Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: newbie getting crazy with szap, dvbtune, tuxview...
	Date: mer, apr 30, 2003 at 02:12:49 +0200

Quoting Ramon de la Fuente (rafuean@ono.com):

> ok, forget the last message, now szap works and say things like
> status 02 | signal 0000 | snr 049e | ber 0000ff98 | unc 00000000 |

An advice from one who has 10 years of Linux experience and one week
of dvb experience: find some other tool to check if your parabolic
antenna is correctly connected and pointed. Yours appears to be
disconnected.

I get a status value of 02 when no LNB is connected at all to my board
(that is, if I completely unscrew the cable). If a LNB is present I
get at least 03. Once the antenna is correctly aligned (very delicate
operation, I found out) and when the proper frequency, polarization,
symbol rate and video/audio PIDs are selected (the szap configuration
file you have in ~/.szap contains all this info) *for a correct
channel for the satellite you point to*, the status value eventually
changes to 1f (meaning the hardware has locked onto a valid signal),
and something interesting can be obtained from the other software.

If you want to only use the Linux approach you must want to get your
hands *very much* dirty. Interesting, but not easy.

Carlo

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe