[linux-dvb] Newbie dvb-kernel query

I've previously got a Nova-T working with the standard DVB driver, but I'm
trying to get a Nebula card working with the dvb-kernel driver now and am
hitting a few snags.

I've got a full 2.4.20 kernel source tree, from which I've built a custom
kernel.  I downloaded the latest CVS version of dvb-kernel earlier this week
and followed the instructions in the build-2.4 directory.  As part of this was
applying a patch to bttv 0.9.4, I downloaded this into the kernel tree (right?)
and patched it.  After doing the make clean && ./getlinks && make, and
running ./insmod.sh load, I get:

  Inserting av7110 modules into kernel./dvb-ttpci.o: init_module: No such device
  Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
   invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
  ./dvb-ttpci-budget.o: init_module: No such device
  Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
   invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
  ./dvb-ttpci-budget-ci.o: init_module: No such device
  Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
   invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
  ./dvb-ttpci-budget-av.o: init_module: No such device
  Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
   invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Dmesg says:

  Linux video capture interface: v1.00
  saa7146: register extension 'dvb'.
  saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.
  saa7146: register extension 'budget_ci dvb'.
  saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb /w video in'.
  usb.c: registered new driver Technotrend/Hauppauge USB-Nova

Do I need to apply the v4l2 patches from bytesex.org before building?  One
other solution mentioned on this list was to change the PCI slot for the card,
but that had no effect.

I did spot the dvb_bt8xx.o file in the build directory, so insmodded bt878.o
and dvb_bt8xx.o, but got:

  dvb-bt8xx.o: unresolved symbol bttv_get_i2c_adap
  dvb-bt8xx.o: unresolved symbol bttv_get_pcidev_Re5c30938
  dvb-bt8xx.o: unresolved symbol bttv_get_cardinfo_R48320158

Dmesg gave the following after the bt878 insmod:

  bt878(0): Bt878 (rev 17) at 02:0a.1, irq: 11, latency: 32, memory: 0xe9201000

Can anyone fill in the steps I've missed or mis-stepped?

Thanks.