[linux-dvb] Re: Avermedia DVB-T Card Experience?

n Mon, 12 May 2003, IanD wrote:

> Avermedia seem to have just released a DVB-T card:
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this card and can
provide detailed
> specs, as the website is very light on detail?

Hi Ian

I bought one of these cards a few weeks ago, because
it had an analogue input and was quite cheap
(UKP79.99). The supplied Windows software seemed very
poor - few features and it kept crashing. The
reception was also worse than I expected - I could
only pick up a fraction of the stations broadcast. I
thought I might be able to get the Linux drivers
working with the card, but that was probably ambitious
for someone like me who doesn't have C/C++ experience?
I contacted AverMedia UK Support for some technical
information about how the card worked, and my reason
for wanting that info. They suggested I contact
someone in Taiwan, whom I guess helped develop the
card. I emailed him but never got a reply.

I contacted Nebula Electronics in the UK, and said
that I wanted to try their DVB-T card, but if the
reception was any worse than the AverMedia card, I'd
have to send it back. They were really helpful in
agreeing to this and answering some other questions,
so I bought one.

The Nebula card seems to be a *much* better product. I
can receive all the broadcast channels without
problems. The Windows application has many more
features, a better interface, doesn't crash on my
machine, and uses less CPU time than the Avermedia
card (this might be a result of the better reception
quality?).

I haven't had time to get the Nebula card installed in
Linux, but other people have reported it works OK.

I don't know whether this product is available to you
in Australia, but for the UK I'd definitely recommend
it instead of the AverMedia card (which I have sent
back and requested a refund for).

These are just my thoughts.

Neil