[linux-dvb] Re: [fwd] dvb portability issues

Hello Gerd, Andrew,

The current dvb code has some portability problems, see the ppc64
build log below.
The portability problems are mostly in the saa7146 core and in the recently changed drivers like the ves1820.

Please note that the old, monolithic av7110 driver (with the saa7146 driver included) has been used on ppc succesfully and that the dvb core is used on ppc set-top-boxes as well.

The saa7146 driver is not needed for our set-top-box developments any more.

I must admit that I broke the saa7146 stuff when I ported the av7110 driver to my new saa7146 driver core. I'll have a look at it.

The virt_to_bus() is a big no-no, this isn't portable, the drivers
should use the dma mapping interface (Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt)
instead.
I know and most of the time I use the dma interface (for example through the video-buf module) already. I have to port the necessary stuff from the old av7110 driver to my new saa7146 core. Thanks for the hint.

Some of the failures look harmless, just a missing include
(vmalloc_to_page) or due to recent irq API changes (request_irq
warning).
All other fixes to the frontend drivers have already been done. Because of the fact that there is a huge pile of dvb-patches already pending again (and that Christoph Hellwig has asked me to stop sending patches unless he has fixed the devfs layer completely), I'll probably take some weeks until I'll send the next major patchset again.

CU
Michael.