[linux-dvb] Re: vbv delay/buffer overflows on VBR statmux

Oliver Endriss wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Oliver Endriss wrote:

> > > Argh. ;-)
> > > On most stations teletext is much better than EPG.
> > > I don't want to loose this feature right now.
> > >
> > > Could the memory setup be made customizable?
> > > - mpeg buffer size
> > > - osd memory size
> > > - teletext reinsertion on/off
> > > etc.
> >
> > Thinking about it: since TT re-insertion is only feasible during live
> > tv, that memory is unused during replay. Maybe we could dynamically
> > assign the video buffer size so that it has 230KB during replay
> > (without TT re-insertion) and 210KB during live TV (with TT).
> >
> > @Ralph: would this be technically possible, or is there a reason that
> >         forbids this?
>
> Sounds good. According to the datasheet it should be possible to change
> buffer setup when the decoder is idle. Don't know whether this still
> applies.

There would even be another possibility: since I assume that nobody will be
using teletext and the OSD at the same time, we could give the OSD higher
priority, so that when the OSD is displayed there will be no TT re-insertion.
That way we wouldn't have to dynamically assign the video buffer size (which
may be somewhat tricky...).

> > > Has anyone ever tried to upgrade a DVB-S to 4MB SDRAM?
> > > This would solve all memory problems.
> > > I'm dreaming of a full-screen true-color osd. ;-)
> > > Well, this would be an option for some hardware hackers only.
> >
> > I'd be willing to try this if I knew where to get the necessary chip,
> > and whether the hardware (i.e. the board layout) is able to do this.
>
> The problem is the SCS2 (SDRAM chip select 2) signal. Until now I could
> not find the pinout of the AV7110 BGA package. It's missing in the
> datasheet. So I don't know whether it is possible to grab the signal at
> all.

Maybe it would be enough to know where that siganl would go in the SDRAM
chip? Since it isn't possible (I guess) to look "under" the AV7110 it might
be easier to check the pinout of the SDRAM chip...

Klaus