[linux-dvb] Re: vbv delay/buffer overflows on VBR statmux

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, there is one other way, if you can do without teletext
> > > re-insertion. The memory used for this just happens to be 20KB,
> > > too, and it also is taken from the SDRAM. Disabling teletext
> > > re-insertion can give these 20KB right to the video buffer,
> > > without decreasing the OSD.
> >
> > Argh. ;-)
> > On most stations teletext is much better than EPG.
> > I don't want to loose this feature right now.
> >
> > Could the memory setup be made customizable?
> > - mpeg buffer size
> > - osd memory size
> > - teletext reinsertion on/off
> > etc.
>
> Thinking about it: since TT re-insertion is only feasible during live
> tv, that memory is unused during replay. Maybe we could dynamically
> assign the video buffer size so that it has 230KB during replay
> (without TT re-insertion) and 210KB during live TV (with TT).
>
> @Ralph: would this be technically possible, or is there a reason that
>         forbids this?

Sounds good. According to the datasheet it should be possible to change
buffer setup when the decoder is idle. Don't know whether this still
applies.

> > Has anyone ever tried to upgrade a DVB-S to 4MB SDRAM?
> > This would solve all memory problems.
> > I'm dreaming of a full-screen true-color osd. ;-)
> > Well, this would be an option for some hardware hackers only.
>
> I'd be willing to try this if I knew where to get the necessary chip,
> and whether the hardware (i.e. the board layout) is able to do this.

The problem is the SCS2 (SDRAM chip select 2) signal. Until now I could
not find the pinout of the AV7110 BGA package. It's missing in the
datasheet. So I don't know whether it is possible to grab the signal at
all.

Oliver