[linux-dvb] Re: Dissecting the 2002 TechnoTrend DVB-T budget design (with TDA10045H)...

From: "Rich Aston" <rich@media70.com>
> I can confirm that in the UK the Hauppauge Nova-T (model
> SL-909-V1.2-UK) now has the new Philips Tuner.
> I've just bought one and found it doesn't work yet!

Thanks for the confirmation and the model number.

> What are the prospects for support for this card? Is there likely to be
> driver support in the next few weeks or should I return it and try and
> find an older version? Is there anything I can do to help the process?

The problems are:

1. There is no official programming information available for the Philips
TDM1316L tuner, nor for the Philips TDA10045H demodulator.

2. Even if we had this documentation, you would still need the ~30KB
microcode for the Philips TDA10045H, which is buried deeply within the
TechnoTrend driver DLL. We would need permission from Philips to distribute
the microcode with the driver.

If you want to help the process, try getting a good contact to Philips
through which we can get the documentation and the permission :-)

Since the new model is primarily about VHF support for Germany (Berlin),
which I don't think is needed in the UK, where DVB-T is broadcast only on
UHF channels, you might indeed be better of getting the older model
instead. I'm not sure if and how we can get things resolved with Philips...

Does anyone here have experience in dealing with Philips? Are they open to
the free software community, or do they have a shitty commerce-only
attitude?

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach