[linux-dvb] Re: Which CRC-code is used in TS of DVB?

Am Die, 2003-05-27 um 02.06 schrieb Ralph Metzler:
> Gregor Lawatscheck writes:
>  > At 23:26 26/05/2003, you wrote:
>  > >The decoder does not get the TS.
>  >
>  > AFAIK there is no CRC in the TS but in the PES header? I haven't checked
>  > this, so I could be wrong.
>
> No CRC in either.

What is that? Quote from Holger Waechtler:

-------------------- snip ------------------------------

Hi,

As subject says, which CRC-code is used in TS of DVB?

I think I've read CRC32 somewhere - is that correct?
it's CRC32, the decoder model is described in ITU-T H.222.0, Annex A.

Holger

>  > interesting, from Oct Nov 2002 where Holger speaks about CRC32 checking
>  > being broken in the av7110 firmware. Is this still the case and would that
>
> It is not broken, just not implemented.

There have been mails on the List from Holger Waechtler that it has been
reenabled - this was in October 2002. There also where mails on the
kernel-ML about impementing a generic CRC32 class into DVB-kernel.

>  >
>  > Because as Holger writes:
>  >  >It's implemented. Set the DMX_CHECK_CRC flag in the
>  > dmx_sct_filter_params >struct if you want only receive sections that passed
>  > the CRC32 check.
>  >
>  > Now that sounds like it'll drop sections that didn't pass CRC32, doesn't
>  > it? I'm not aware CRC32 corrects anything. I personally just fear CRC32
>
> Correct.

OK, what passes the CRC-check, then?

>  > errors, for example in archives etc. To me it's a checksum: According to
>  > http://www.cyberdyne-software.com/crc32.html CRC = "cyclic redundancy
>  > check(sum)". What do you do when the checksum fails? "Invert[ing] the wrong
>  > bits" is certainly beyond me.

The application's name is "CRC 32"!

I don't know the CRC32, and I'm currently looking for specs.

See

http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/rnvs/lehre/rn1/DLL_AR02.pdf

for description of cyclic redundancy CODE.

> Confused with FECs.

So the question: Is CRC32 in DVB-TS a cyclic redundancy checksum or
code? If checksum the DVB-developers would be idiots - especially as
data-packets are broadcasted by carussels where a client can't demand to
resend the packet - so it has to be valid.

The CRC32 is specified in Annex B of the MPEG-2 Systems ISO/IEC 13818-1
[1]. Can anyone check if it is checksum or code?

>  > I actually thought the CRC32 was good exactly for the latter reason - error
>  > detection - passing it to the decoder with the notice: "hey, by the way,
>  > this data is broken, handle with care". I'd like to believe otherwise. It'd
>  > be a great benefit to everyone if CRC32 from a budget card could be used to
>  > correct bitstream errors.  I thought FEC (forward error correction) was for
>  > error correction of the bitstream - and surely that's done even for the
>  > budget cards...
>
> Yup, it is part of the demodulator hardware.

With the full-featured cards only or also with low-budgets?

Rene