[linux-dvb] Re: Linux-friendly 1-way Satellite Internet accessproviders?

Can someone list the details of how to get a 1 way
satellite internet connection going ?

That is the routing and other setting. In Australia
the providers use Uplink is via a modem and downlink
via satellite. It is not VPN or proxy based.
That's how 1-way satellite works. Because you can't send data up to the satellite with a standard antenna / LNB, you need an uplink to make requests to internet. Your answer to your request will arrive from the satellite downlink. When you get an ip account with your provider, he will provide settings for your downlink (satellite dish) and an uplink (modem). Then your provider figures out that your modem ip corresponds to the the satellite HUB your connected to, and sends the data back on the corresponding sat HUB.

Simple question - are there any in Europe? I have a
friend in the UK to whom ADSL will never be available, and would like to get
something going a bit faster than dual-ISDN...
I heard Tiscali has signed with Eutelsat for 1-way internet satellite using the Eutesat's Open-Sky technology.

Regards,
--
Alexandre CONRAD
Research & Development