[linux-dvb] Re: Linux-friendly 1-way Satellite Internet access providers?

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:51:01AM +0200, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Am Die, 2003-05-27 um 01.48 schrieb Gavin Hamill:
> > Hi :)
>
> ... and certainly wants to spend all his working life for paying his
> satelite-ISP subscription.
>
> If you calculate EOL with five transponders of 34 MBit/s each this are
> 170 MBit/s brutto.

Interesting stuff...

Certainly talking from a UK perspective, consumer-grade ADSL is sold max
500kbps at 50:1 contention ratio - it's set at that level at each local
telephone exchange by our wonderful telecoms monopoly BT.

Taking a single transponder pumping out 34Mbps, so 72 customers would
each be able to have a guaranteed 500kbps connection at all time.. But
wait, by applying the 50:1 contention, we can suddenly sell 34Mbps of
bandwidth to 72 * 50 = 3600 customers!

Surely 3600 people each paying maybe 30 EUR a month would be enough for
a viable service?

Of course, I'm probably vastly oversimplifying :)

Cheers,
Gavin.