[linux-dvb] Re: Problems with mutiple multicast channels and linuxtv

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Holger Kiehl wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am having problems receiving multiple multicast channels with the
> linuxtv drivers. With the help of this list I managed to receive data
> with the KNC1, Skystar2 and Nova DVB-s cards. With tcpdump and iptraf
> I can see that data does arrive on all channels. I use closed source software
> from Tellique to receive the data and with strace I can see that they
> use poll() to detect if data does arrive on any of the channel. With
> the first channel this works without any problems. However if there is
> data on the second or third channel poll() does not detect this.
> I tested this with two separate pc's one with the pent@value that
> comes with its own driver and the other with the Nova-s and linuxtv
> driver and both had the exact same copy of the tellique software and
> setup. Then started the tellique software on both machines with
> strace and started iptraf to make sure data comes in. As soon as there
> is data on for example the second channel the poll() with the pent@value
> driver returns but the linuxtv driver poll() does nothing.
>
> Now I do not know if you do need to program the receiving software differently
> to receive all channels with linuxtv driver since ifconfig does setup
> a device for each channel, while the pent@value only uses a single
> device for all channels. If that is not the case then this looks like
> a bug in the linuxtv driver.
>
> Please, what can I do to receive more then one multicast channel with
> linuxtv?

The problem has been solved, it was necessary to give each interface
a different IP address. My mistake was that I gave them all the same IP
(blush, blush ...). So the linuxtv driver is working correctly.

Comparing linuxtv and Nova card with the pent@value I can see that the
interrupts caused is much lower with linuxtv, nearly half that of the
pent@value. Good!

But what has me worried is the high temperature of any of those cards,
pent@value, nova, skytar2 or knc1. They are all quit hot. Makes me wonder
if these cards are designed to operate 24 hours 7 days a week?

One last question what is the meaning of the following messages in
/var/log/messages:

  Jul  1 12:33:58 dwdsat2 kernel: dvb0_0: filter mac=00 d0 5c 22 43 40

I get them very frequently, how can I get rid of them?

Thanks,
Holger (Kiehl)