[linux-dvb] Re: Hotbird reception on certain channels.

On Thursday 03 July 2003 18:48, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> From: "Andrew de Quincey" <adq_dvb@lidskialf.net>
>
> > Actually, this is VERY weird. I can receive other channels from all
> > the beams perfectly.. but there are a few which just don't work...
> > This doesn't make sense to me... why should 2 or 3 channels from a
> > beam not work, but the others be fine?
>
> The frequency you mentioned, 11.766GHz is narrowly above the low/high band
> switching point. There seems to be some confusion about which band covers
> what frequency range. I read on several pages that:
>
> Low-Band:  10.7 - 11.8 GHz
> High-Band: 11.7 - 12.75GHz
>
> I.e. the bands are overlapping, and the frequency you mentioned would be
> covered by both bands...
>
> So: Check the tuner code and see whether it switches the LNB to low band or
> high band, and try switching it to the other band!
>
> FWIW, the ASTRA website says low-band is only up to 11.7GHz, so the bands
> are clearly separated at the 11.7GHz frequency there, and the frequency you
> mentioned would clearly be in the high band according to ASTRA...

Hey, thanks for the advice, I've found the problem.

(This is at work) Someone was trying to run another receiver off the same
satellite feed with a TV-style splitter. Our hotbird dish only has one LNB,
and the transponder on the other machine is using horizontal polarity, while
that channel is vertical.......