[linux-dvb] Re: DVB driver-related system hang with SuSE 8.2's SMPkernel

Dr J A Gow wrote:
Hello,

	I have an interesting problem with the latest (1.0.0-pre3) DVB driver
set when running on a stock SuSE 8.2 SMP kernel. This manifests itself
as a complete system lockup. No oops, no trap dump, nothing, just a
frozen system. Before I go any further, just a word about the system
configuration:

Kernel:		Stock SuSE 8.2 (2.4.20-64GB-SMP)
DVB card:	Hauppauge WinTV/NOVA
M/B:		Asus P4T533, 256MB RAM

It should be noted that the CPU is a hyperthreaded 3GHz P4, with the SMP
kernel running, and 'seeing' the two logical processors.

Now, the system lockup seems to occur when opening any of the devices
(e.g. when tzap opens /dev/.../frontend0 etc, or when one attempts to
run dvbstream).

If, with the *same system and hardware configuration*, the SMP kernel is
replaced with the stock SuSE uniprocessor kernel, everything works. This
problem seems only to affect SMP.

I wonder if:

(a) anybody has any ideas as to where to look, or suggestions of things
to try.
I added an additional spinlock in the demux code l'ast days. Please review the CVS changes of the last days and check if this change introduced the problem. cvsps is a pretty helpful utility for CVS code reviews, maybe you want to give it a try...

Holger