[linux-dvb] Re: Siemens card

From: "Rami Räsänen" <dvb@huume.org>
> Is this Siemens/Fujitsu DVB-C card supported by Linux dvb driver:
> http://www.usa-x.org/1shop/product_info.php?cPath=2_13&products_id=5

AFAIK, yes.

> What features does it have? Hardware MPEG, OSD, TV-OUT, ECD? Does it
> have an AV7111 (does it run the same firmware as Technotrend card?)

Except ECD (what is that?), yes. It is also the _only_ cable card which can
be equipped with an analog TV module, in case you have both analog and
digital TV in your cable.

> Any disadvantages when compared to a Technotrend card?

If you want to purchase the CI slot as well, the Siemens CI slot is
connected directly to the card, i.e. you will have to insert the CA at the
back of your PC, very uncomfortable. The TT CI slot is in a 3.5" bay, so
you'll have the slot at the front of your PC.

My personal take: I would stay away from anything with an AV7111 on it!
This chip is quite flawed and it can not be fully bypassed, you will never
be able to get an unfiltered data stream from it. I have come to prefer the
"budget" cards which simply give you an unfiltered data stream, offering
maximum flexibility (and are much cheaper, too!). But then you'll need a
software MPEG-2 decoder, and Linux-VDR may not work with budget-cards
either...

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach