[linux-dvb] Re: Hello, questions about 2.6 kernel and DVB

Hello Brian,

Is there any FAQ or guide about how to setup DVB cards using the 2.6 kernel?
Please don't get me wrong, but the 2.6 kernel is only a few hours old, so what do you expect? 8-)

I have a Via Epia board and a Nebula Digitv card. I have compiled the 2.6 kernel correctly and it boots. I have the DVB modules compiled in (the loadable module support is off). I would like to use video lan (www.videoLan.org) if possible. I am also using Redhat 9 (it's what I know best).
RedHat 9 has problems when you try to compile external modules. So you either need to use an official, unpatched kernel or -- even better -- figure out how to compile the driver with RH9. 8-)

I really just want to get a server set up to send the video over IP. I plan to use the videolan server for this, but I'm open to sugestions. I'm not a Linux newbie, but not a Linux oldie either, kinda a middlie.
Of course you're welcome to try the newest kernels. But in your case you're probably better off with a 2.4 kernel and the stable, official DVB driver, no?

Thank you,
Brian
CU
Michael.