[linux-dvb] Re: RGB tv out on hauppauge nexus?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Eric Laly wrote:
>
> > If no, is there a great différence (of image quality, of course) between
> > the composite out of nexus and the RGB out of the 'old' card ?
>
> On my opinion, no.
> The difference is not really on the NEXUS but on the TV.
> Many TV sets have lousy composite input and thats why people
> say that composite is bad.
> I have tryed both on my TV and cant really see any difference.

I would have said composite is always bad. Composite fits colour and
brightness next to each other, the colour modulated higher than the
brightness signal.. When there is fine brightness detail on the
picture, this increase in bandwidth affects the color signal.. Have you
not seen the effect of looking at a pin stripe suit worn by a weather
person? Under a composite signal you *might* notice that the suit
changes colour rapidly and appears distorted.. This does not happen
with Svideo or RGB.. it is a side effect of composite.. *shudder*

IMHO composite is to be avoided where possible, though I am using it at
home, until I get round to buying a longer Svideo cable :)