[linux-dvb] Re: Is there any full-featured DVB-T card (combination)working in Berlin?

Hannes Stein wrote:

> I found two shops that offer a full-featured Technotrend premium DVB-T
> PCI card - one for 230 EURO ("Win DVB-T 1.2"
> http://http://www.usa-x.org/1shop/
> product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=7) and for 320 EURO ("TT-DVB-T1200
> premium"
> http://www.dvb-portal.de/oscn/
> modules.php?name=oscn_catalog&file=product_info&products_id=360). The
> support of the first shop told me, that this card only has just one
> tuner (not both parts - whatever that means...), so it won't work with
> german DVB-T (just for UK, Scandinavia and Australia). The metal-box
> where I think the tuner must be located has indeed just half the size.

I think they mean that this tuner cannot receive UHF - e.g. channels 5
and 7 in Berlin.

> The other card has a Grundig-Tuner (BSRU6 0N2815A), the Chips are
> Philips SAA7146 and a Texas Instruments DSP (TMX320AV71111GFN). But the
> price (320 EURO) is more than a budget DVB-T card _and_ a premium DVB-C
> (or -S) card together! A lot of money wasted, if it wouldn't work.

It's basically the same card with the same limitations.
There's a third variant with a tuner from ALPS. It cannot receive UHF as
well.

> On the other hand, it would be a nice idea to get one of the DVB-C
> cards of Siemens with an analog module (140 EURO) and a TT DVB-T budget
> card (120 EURO), so I could use the 30 analog cable channels together
> with the poor 20 DVB-T channels... But the analog module (as i read
> here) doesn't seem to work yet (at least sound doesn't if I read it

Well, the analog module is not fully supported yet, but it seems that
it's getting better. Another benefit of the Siemens card is that you
could receive the digital channels in the Berlin cable (though only the
ARD and ZDF stuff).

> right...), and the TT budget (Lorenzen) cards don't seem to be fully
> supported, too - if the mailing-list archives are up-to date.

As I read the ML the Lorenzen (aka Hauppauge DVB-T nova) is more or less
fully supported. You might encounter a problem here or there but as a
lot of people seem to have this card now I'm sure those problems will be
resolved in no time :-)

> Last thing would be, to get this haupauge DEC-2000T and try to make
> that thing work... but having read the stuff about this, i don't think
> it's a good idea...

I wouldn't go into that direction as I don't know whether this USB box
is capable of replaying MPEG streams. Anyone?

> So my question is:
> Is there anybody who uses Berlin DVB-T with his VDR and knows what
> hardware's best?
> Have I named any cards that a absolutly nonsens?

No. It all boils down to the following:
AFAIK there is no full-featured DVB-T card that can receive UHF.
Only the new "budget" DVB-T from Technotrends (aka Lorenzen aka
Hauppauge DVB-T nova) can receive UHF and VHF so you have to get one of
these. Then you need an additional card for displaying on the TV.
Here you have two possibilities:
Either get a full-featured card (doesn't matter what kind of DVB
[S|C|T]) or get a Hollywood+ DXR3 via eBay. The DXR3 seems to be the
most cheapest solution and maybe even the best one.

Cheers,
Juri