[linux-dvb] Re: satellite newbie in the US looking for set up DVB on linux

   Chen W wrote:
> Hi, I am the US and looking to rig up a system to
> receive satellite FTA program. So far from my research
> that I would need the following:
   Which FTA program you looking to decode? Check lyngsat
   and satcodx. Germany has sat, terrestrial and cable.
   North America is not that rich.

> 1. A satellite receiver dish. But what kind? I am
> looking for a consumer type satellite under $300 that
> can receive various international and US programs.
   Again depends on the program. Hard to go wrong with a
   60cm dish with a feed that you can plop in linear
   or circular LNBs. I guess 11.7 to 12.7 GHz would be
   all-inclusive. Lots of places you can get a dish and
   LNB for under 50$ but I guess that'd be 12.2 to 12.7
   DTH gear.

> 2. A DVB-s PCI card. Hauppauge WinTV Nexus-s seems
> popular and obtainable via ebay. Is there any
> advantage to getting a budget card (other than cost savings)
> that doesn't include a hardware MPEG decoder chip? (e.g.
> doing it in software may present some flexibility and
> customization options) Or is it not worth the trouble?
   Sorry, can't help. I'd be surprised if you can get a
   Nexus-s shipped to North America?

> 3. Since most of DVB setup I read on the net appears
> to be only relevant in Europe, can people give
> pointers what not to buy that just won't work with US?
> 4. Any website that provides info for people like
> myself in the US would be helpful as well.
   Really, I don't think anybody is doing LinuxDVB on
   North America birds. There are several FTA DVB birds
   (Telstar 5?) I think but I haven't heard too much noise
   on the maillist.