[linux-dvb] Re: Wrong colors using tvTime dvb-driver

Hello Ruediger,

I use the DVB-driver (from CVS) together with vdr-1.1.33 and tvtime-0.9.9.
DVB-Tv functions fine except the colors are wrong.
> There were some e-mails in this list concerning the "color-problem".
> What is the state? What can I do?

Tvtime comes with an excellent documentation at docs/html/hardware.html

I simply quote from that document:
8. Driver problems with SAA7146/linux-dvb supported cards

We have had a bug report about the linux-dvb driver found on the
linuxtv.org page. This supports, among other things, the
Hauppauge Nexus-S cards.

The 0.9.8 release of tvtime fails on the current released stable driver,
as it does not properly indicate what it supports. As well, there are
performance difficulties. From Michael Hunold, the driver author:

"to make a long story short: "linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0-pre1" and the so-called
DVB "head" or "newstruct" drivers are v4l1 drivers.

The CVS "dvb-kernel" driver is the new *v4l2* driver, which does not
have the problems you mentioned. YUYV byteorder is completely disabled,
capture performance problems should be gone, because I use Gerd Knorr's
"video-buf" capture buffer abstraction. Because of that, the performance
should be equal to the bttv / saa7134 driver. "

tvtime 0.9.9 will work fine with this new V4L2 driver, and we recommend
that users of this card get the dvb-kernel driver and use that with tvtime.

For reference, the original project page for this driver is at
http://www.gdv.uni-hannover.de/~hunold1/linux/saa7146/index.html
and and an explanation of the current DVB driver situation is at
http://linuxtv.org/dvb/drivers.xml. As well, the thread on this
issue on the linux-dvb mailing list can be found here:
the tvtime bug report is bug 694544.

In other words: "DVB" is fine for 2.4 kernels and usage with Video4Linux-1 programs. "dvb-kernel" is for 2.5+ kernels and usage with both (well-behaving) Video4Linux-1 programs and Video4Linux-2 programs.
"xawtv" and "tvtime" support both.

You don't need to install the "dvb-kernel" driver systemwide if you only want to try it out. Simply start up a fresh boot, follow the instructions in the readme files and compile & install it from the directory without installing.

I just tried tvtime-0.9.9 + "dvb-kernel" CVS from this morning and after setting the inputs and the tv norm it works quite well.

PS: Until last week I used xawtv-3.88. Unfortunately it seg-faults after I
upgraded the nvidia driver from 1.0-4363 to 4496 (using xfree-4.2). Thus I look for an alternative to XawTv.
That's (sorry) bullshit. Both programs rely on the Xvideo extension of the XServer, so "tvtime" probably won't work either. It would be better if you'd find a fix for the Nvidia driver, so that it works properly.

Alternatively, you can disable the usage of the Xvideo extension, to see if that's really the problem. For "xawtv" the "--no-xv" switch does the trick.

I appreciate any hints
Ciao Ruediger
CU
Michael.