[linux-dvb] Re: Problem with AverMedia DVB-T card

Joni Loponen wrote:
Hi,
I've tried to use AverMedia DVB-T card in Linux, but I didn't get
working. Here is what I've done:

1. Added necessary files from DVB-kernel CVS to Linux kernel 2.6-test4
Have you used a recent dvb-kernel CVS version? There the required changes are already included.

2. Added kernelconfig for SP887X/Microtune 7202DTF
dito.

3. Applied the pathes in
dvb-kernel/linux/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/patches directory (seems like
Nebula patch is already added to bttv in this kernel) and made
Nebula-like addtions for AverMedia DVB-T
these too.

4. Removed #include "dvb_compat.h" from
dvb-kernel/linux/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/sp887x.c (Caused some
compile errors)
Can you please report more in detail what errors occured?

After compiling kernel I added a new initial transponder and tried to
scan for channels:
# ./scan
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'

tune to:
714000000:INVERSION_OFF:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_8:HIERARCHY_NONE
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0011
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0010
dumping lists (0 services)
Done.

Then I tried to add a station to ~/.tzap/channels manually and use tzap
to tune it:
# tzap 1
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
tuning to 714000000 Hz
status 1f | signal c0c0 | snr 4044 | ber ffffffff | unc ffffffff |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal c0c0 | snr 4044 | ber ffffffff | unc ffffffff |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal c0c0 | snr 4044 | ber ffffffff | unc ffffffff |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal c0c0 | snr 4044 | ber ffffffff | unc ffffffff |
FE_HAS_LOCK
The BER (Bit error rate) and UNC (uncorrected block count) counters are overflowing. Have you tried other channels and other antenna positions? If you can get a lock using the windows driver but not with the Linux driver we can probably still optimize things in the Linux driver, don't know.

When you get a lock with reasonably low BER and UNC numbers you should check whether you can get any data out of the dvr device. If not, can you please add some verbose debug messages in the bt8xx irq handler and check whether data arrives?

i2c_adapter i2c-0: sendbytes: error - bailout.
sp887x_initial_setup: firmware upload... done.
This can be fixed in the kernel-i2c implementation for the bttv cards. But it should be uncritical in your situation.

Holger