[linux-dvb] Re: "New" frontend chip

Michael Hunold wrote:

Yes, sure. The problem is, that 2.4.0 != 2.4.20. In the meantime, there have been numerous improvements and additions, that are currently in use. Some things that come to my mind:

- heavy pci interface changes (used for capturing in video-buf.c, around 2.4.13 IIRC)
- memory management changes (used for capturing in video-buf.c)
- support for tasklets (used for deferring work from the irq handler)
- kernel thread stuff
- Video4Linux driver register interface changes (2.4.19)

You need to backport most of this stuff to get the full-featured cards running. Surely it's possible, but I don't have time for this. 8-(
Basically we had support down to at least 2.4.6 for a while, I don't see why this should be possible anymore. It's probably just a matter that everything what does not gets tested with older kernels on a regular basis will get incompatible with ongoing development.

Please report problems on a regular basis if you need support for older 2.4.xx kernels. We'll be happy to help where possible.

Holger