[linux-dvb] Re: "New" frontend chip

Hello Wolfgang,

Is it broken again?

I´m a bit astonished that nobody seems to be trying to fix the bugs in
dvb-kernel for kernel versions < 2.4.20.
You're welcome. 8-D

I tried for myself, but with no success :-((
(Ok: 2.4.19 works for ttpci, but not for ttusb.)
Ok, bad luck.

Shouldn´t this compatability stuff be fixed so that as many people as
possible will test dvb-kernel?
As I have already pointed out many times, "DVB" and "dvb-kernel" differ only in the used saa7146 subsystem -- the DVB core, the av7110 functionality and everything besides the Video4Linux-Interface should be the same.

The "DVB" saa7146 parts were horrible, so exchanging it with the Video4Linux-2 driver I wrote in the last years was the only way to get this thing straight.

> (to be able to get rid of the DVB branch
> one day?)

"dvb-kernel" is already in 2.6-testX, so "DVB" will be frozen at some point in the future. It can be used for old, stable 2.4.x installations and only really major bugs will be fixed. "dvb-kernel" cannot be stopped... ;-)

And again:
> Shouldn´t this compatability stuff be fixed so that as many people as
> possible will test dvb-kernel?

Yes, sure. The problem is, that 2.4.0 != 2.4.20. In the meantime, there have been numerous improvements and additions, that are currently in use. Some things that come to my mind:

- heavy pci interface changes (used for capturing in video-buf.c, around 2.4.13 IIRC)
- memory management changes (used for capturing in video-buf.c)
- support for tasklets (used for deferring work from the irq handler)
- kernel thread stuff
- Video4Linux driver register interface changes (2.4.19)

You need to backport most of this stuff to get the full-featured cards running. Surely it's possible, but I don't have time for this. 8-(

"dvb-kernel" is 2.6.0-testX technology. It's already getting hard to keep it running under 2.4.20+ because of the improvements in latest kernels (mostly devfs, major/minor handling, USB stuff, ...)

If you need a driver for a kernel prior 2.4.19, either use "DVB" or try to fix the problems you're having.

If you post your compile logs, I probably can tell you what the problem is.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
CU
Michael.