[linux-dvb] Re: frequencyTolerance - Bis !!

Pierre-Alexandre FAVIER wrote:
Hi, Any piece of answer would be welcome, or tell me if it's such a stupid question !!!

searching the archive without success. I hope I won't annoy you with a
stupid newbee question.

I'm coding a C++ wrapper of the DVB API in order to develop my own
application. My first little app is a scan application (another one...).

I've got 2 questions :

- What's the meaning of frequencyTolerance and notifierDelay fields of
the frontend information structure ?
they are used internally by the dvb-core code. Basically frequencyTolerance means the tolerance you can tune 'beside' the correct frequency while you can be sure that the AFC will still compensate the offset. Achieving a lock can take longer in this case.

- When scaning the whole range of frequencies, the frontent locks
several frequencies which are very close and correspond to the same
transponder. What are the best criteria to discriminate them (strength
level, noise rate, error blocks...) ?
You can use e.g. the Transort Stream ID (transport_stream_id in DVB/apps/scan/scan.c) to distinguish transponders in a network. If you have to choose a frequency to store in the channel list you can either take the one announced in the NIT or the one reported by FE_GET_FRONTEND. The latter should be AFC compensated if the frontend driver supports that.

I'd use the NIT announced values.

Holger