[linux-dvb] Re: Linux DVB API 4 Q's

Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com wrote:

> One CI device per slot would be fine for our requirements.  I guess if you
> had 2 slots and only one physical CI device you could always create another
> logical CI device to handle the extra slot.  Was this your thinking as
> well?

You're confusing me. What extra slot? I talked about either having
two independent slots or two slots which can operate on the sae TS only.

> Having a fixed routing from front-end to C/I device through to the CAM and
> back through to the demux is not a problem as long as there is an ioctl to
> set the TS source of the C/I device.  The demux can then choose the source
> from either a normal front-end(s) or the output from the CAM using the
> DVB_DMX_SET_SOURCE ioctl.  Is this OK, can we add this ioctl to ci.h?

I think so.

> BTW, I guess it's no use to have an API between a smart-card and a host as
> this will be confidential info. Right?

The T=0 and T=1 protocols (and others) for smartcards are described in
public documentation, so I don't think there's anything confidential
here. IMHO the reason for not having a standard Linux SC reader *driver*
API yet is that in the PC world these things hang on a serial or USB
interface, and the protocols are then implemented in userspace. See
e.g. PC/SC http://www.linuxnet.com/ or SCEZ.

We currently use a simple character device exactly what we need
without much overhead due to abstraction/generalization.

Johannes