[linux-dvb] Re: Twinhan cards

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:26:16AM -0400, Grant Totten wrote:
> Woo-hoo!  Things are looking better in Twinhan-land.  As a Twinhan user
> that desperately wants to ditch Windows and MyTheatre, I'm very excited
> by the progress the two of you have been making.

Another soul has the terrestial version of this card, which is very
similar. I'm hoping we can get somewhere with this too.

> Can you tell me, which kernel will your dvb-kernel code changes be
> included in?  I expect it'll take Linux long enough to apply the patches
> to the tree that I'll want to patch my own, but...

Gerd Knorr has updated his snapshot versions of the bttv driver
so that bttv patches no longer need to be applied. Relying on that
means his snapshot also has to go in ...

I'm meant to add my dst stuff into the dvb-kernel cvs, which then
would go up for evaluation.

Brad is very flattering, but the truth is I'm an old-time hacker who
had too much time on his hands for a while. Getting hardware going is one
thing, cutting and pasting kernel code is another. I have to understand.

There are still issues with the CI card, can it or can't it produce
sensible 188 byte packets? Only Twinhan knows. Then there are the
signal strength / quality reporting issues : again Twinhan have
the answers and could tell us in a moment. Then there are the almost
identical terrestial cards. How about some info there?

If anyone reading this is in a position to put firm, polite pressure
on Twinhan, their OEMers, resellers or distributors, now might be a good
time.

Maybe you are looking to build DVRs on a large scale and are looking
at which card to use : Twinhan ought to know how many units you are
considering and why you can't use their card.

Please spread to anyone who you think might be able to help.

Regards
Jamie