[linux-dvb] Re: Nebula PCI - kernel 2.6 or 2.4 ?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:16:54PM +1000, Brian McKerr wrote:
> G'day all,
>
>     I've just purchased a Nebula DVB-t PCI card, works a treat under windows but I'm having some difficulty getting it working
> under linux. I'm using slackware 9.1 which has a 2.4.22 kernel, and have followed the HOWTO here;

> This is a nice howto but, for me,  it fails to explain one key thing,  when or if you need to recompile the kernel ?
>

> I suppose I'm better of asking;
>
> Should I use a 2.6 kernel  and DVB-kernel (slackware 9.1 is 2.6 ready) or the 2.4.22 kernel that comes as default and patch it up
> according to this howto.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bt878 area of dvb is undergoing some work. Using a CVS version
older than a few days ago would take some work to get going under 2.6.

The latest stuff you can go either way, but be prepared to help with
debugging.

The README now goes like this:
Original Richard Walker
Modified Jamie Honan, 13 Oct 2003

How to get the Nebula, PCTV and Twinhan DST cards working,

This class of cards has a bt878a as the PCI interface, and
require the bttv driver.

Please pay close attention to the warning about the bttv module
options below for the DST card.

For 2.4, make sure you are using an uptodate kernel 2.4.21 and above.
For 2.6, shuffle down to the 2.6 section below. 2.6 is recommended
because of it's multimedia latency support, and ease of build.

2.4
===
For 2.4, make sure you are using an uptodate kernel 2.4.21 and above.
This is the *only* way to go when you are experimenting with
bleeding-edge stuff like DVB and Dxr3.  Do the usual to build your kernel.
(remember to enable the V4L functionality)  I'd recommend you install and
test your kernel, rather than diving straight into the bt878 stuff.

Download http://bytesex.org/patches/2.4.xxx/11-v4l2-api-2.4.xxxxxx.diff.gz and
apply this to your kernel source tree.  For example:

  $ cd /usr/src
  $ patch -p0 < ~/11-v4l2-api-2.4.21-rc4.diff

This will patch your kernel to include support for VideoForLinux 2.

For those who don't know, kernels < 2.5 only support V4L 1 out-of-the-box. If
you are using kernel 2.5.x (or 2.6.x) then V4L2 is built-in.

You need to use 'dvb-kernel', along with 'bttv' to talk to your card.

Download http://bytesex.org/bttv/bttv-0.9.12.tar.gz or above and unpack it.
This is the first version that will not hang your card.

Using this version of

Grab dvb-kernel from CVS:

  $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv login
  $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv co dvb-kernel

No patching of bttv is required from any patches in the dvb-kernel
tree. (You do have to do the v4l stuff above).

Not, at last, the DVB stuff can be built!  Just do it the usual way:

  $ cd dvb-kernel/build-2.4
  $ ./getlinks
  $ make
  $ make install

2.6
===
For 2.6, life is a lot easier, assuming you use 2.6.0-test7 and above.
The bttv does not need to be patched.

Checkout dvb-kernel.

Do everything as per the README in dvb-kernel.

===============

Use and modify the insmod-bt8xx.sh script in the build-2.4 directory
to start and stop your drivers.

The insmod script should be modified so that one of:

        # Nebula
        insmod nxt6000.o
        # or Pinnacle PCTV
        insmod cx24110.o
        # or DST
        insmod dst.o

is selected as a frontend.

Note well. The

        insmod bttv.o i2c_hw=1 card=0x68

The bttv driver will HANG YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU DO NOT SPECIFY THE CARD
FOR THE DST!

Pay attention to failures to load these frontends.
(E.g. dmesg, /var/log/messages).

Cheers,
Richard Walker,

addendum (without permission: mistakes are therefore mine)
Jamie Honan