[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-C QAM128 errors and signal strength

Dear DVB-C people,

I have now contacted HTV about the potential signal quality problem with
respect to the reception problems I reported in summer.

Their technical support was incompetent to answer questions such as how
do I measure the signal strength or can I rent a spectrum analyzer.  I then
rented a digobox model which gives diagnostics data.

With their digibox there are no bit errors and the reception is perfect.
HTV says the cable system in our was built in 1978 and is "chained" not
"star" shaped network.

The digibox gives the following information:

    +-------------+------------+----------+---------+
    | Transponder | Modulation | Strength | SNR(db) |
    +-------------+------------+----------|---------+
    | Yle         | QAM128     | 65       | 20.3    |
    | MTV3        | QAM128     | 65       | 20.3    |
    | Nelonen     | QAM64      | 63       | 20.3    |

These figures are obtained with passive signal splitter at the antenna
cable outlet. There is no difference whether I use old cable or new, long,
RG-59 cable to the digibox.

According to HTV the absolute minimum for good reception is 47 and below
that there is no good reception -- whatever that means.

Jaakko, it would be interesting to try the box in your house and see your
figures with official HTV digibox.

Jarkko