[linux-dvb] Re: Problem with CRC checking

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 05:14:47PM +0100, Jon Burgess wrote:
> The scan application doesn't want to work for me on Linux-2.6.0-test5.
> When I run the dvb-kernel drivers on linux-2.4 it works OK.
>
> I think i've tracked the problem down to the CRC check which occurs when
> DMX_CHECK_CRC is selected by scan. Removing the flag in the scan code
> makes it work OK.
>
> I think the difference is that in 2.4 the crc32_le routine in
> dvb_compat.c is used, but in 2.6 the linux/lib/crc32.c code is used.
> The two routines appear to work differently.
>
> Also, I noticed that Linux-2.4.22 has the same lib/crc32.c code as
> linux-2.6, should dvb-kernel be using this?

Jon,

thank you so much for this! I have spent the last few days
tearing my hair out over 2.6.

Brad has had no problem, but I just couldn't get it to work. I looked
at dma, ETBF issues, timing overruns. All the while your email
stood silent.

Brad went straight to using mplayer, but I was trying scan,
reasoning that if scan didn't work, nothing would. But I don't
think these apps enable DMX_CHECK_CRC.

Just confirming : the crc checking in 2.6 relying on
kernel /lib/crc32.c does NOT work. Workaround for the moment,
don't use DMX_CHECK_CRC in your application.

Jamie