[linux-dvb] Re: Alternative v4 demux API

Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Hi All,

Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Having the ability to select the delivery format (parallel or serial)
of

the TS/PS to a potential input/selector device would be useful. I guess
this would be an ioctl on the front-end device. That's one ioctl for
the

front-end device API.... : )

Why would this be useful? I think the board designer decides if he wants
to use serial or parallel FE output and would not connect both?

I agree that in the field, you would only have a fixed input (parallel or
serial), but because we are using development boards that test every aspect
of the silicon, we do require this functionality (typical h/w bods).
Don't you think a module parameter would suit this purpose better?

 Also,
when providing software to 3rd parties or customers who develop their own
hardware, then having the ease to choose the option makes things far more
simpler than having them try and hack kernel/driver code or have "us" do it
for them.
Even then the userspace software should not be responsible to care about the actual hardware design details -- remember: The kernel is a Hardware Abstraction Layer which should provide a common API to userspace no matter what hardware is actually hidden by the abstraction layer.

Having a single demux device per input channel is not a problem.  It is
when you start looking at the outputs, that's when you start to find "what
if" or "Oh bugger I forgot to support this flag/feature/new bit of crazy
hardware".  Having a group of "output" devices/filters that are connected
to a "demux" device would be logically more sane (each one performing a
different function).
Then we would not only need to invent a new flag for every new hardware but invent an entire new device, not?

We definitely need to address "extensibility" as we don't want to sit down
again and have all these debates about how pretty our own API looks or
whatever. ;^) Designing it in a way that allows one to insert a new module
that performs a specific filtering capability would be ideal.  The layer
that gets passed the filtered data can be kept generic in that it passes
the data up to user-space as required.
Hmm, I don't see why extending the API by inventing a new decoder device including the corresponding output flag should be more complicated than your approach. Can you please elaborate this a bit more in detail?

I agree, it's not that straight forward, but with 2.6 and the larger 32
bits for the device type this would be easier.  What about devfs, would
that help out?
Since 2.4 ist still used in embedded environments and will probably be for a long time we can't rely on 2.6-only features.

And in 2.6 it's not possible anymore to use a devfs-only system without the major/minor limitations. Kudos to the guy who crippled this.

I think its time to come up with some real API header files again.  If we
propose both ideas in different files and let people comment on them, then
we may get more feedback.
yes, please do so -- maybe then it gets clearer why your approach might get simpler at the end.

Holger