[linux-dvb] Re: Quality of dvb-kernel in upcoming 2.6

HI Michael!!

> >Now, can I load dvb-s firmware from the budget-patch directly,
> >that would be much better than loading and unloading dvb-ttpci ?
>
> In theory, yes. I'm planning to split up the av7110 driver into several
> parts. I can split off the firmware loading stuff to one separate file,
> that can be compiled and linked to the budget-patch driver, too.

I would welcome the splitting of av7110 into the parts including
firmware-only related stuff. Of course let it reside at low urgency,
when it comes I'll use it in my driver. So far is good good for me
as it is, dvb-ttpci inserts and removes very smooth.

I think that's most common good reception. Someone told me to use
2m dish to get error-free even with snowstorm on the dish full of
the snow but hey :)

> Yes, then you should use the "makelinks" script to replace the kernel
> driver files with the CVS files. As I said earlier, the firmware patches
> are non-functional at the moment, but I'm working on it today. The
> author of the "firmware_class" subsystem has sent me a patch this
> morning that I've to test.

Aha, I see, good old makelinks are still the best choice :)

> >This is the insofar the investigation (on 2.4)
> [...]
> >I got to the point that I applied 2 cards in parallel
> >(antenna goes to LNB IN of budget-patch and from its LNB OUT signal
> >goes into LNB IN of normal budget card) and, imagine,
> >BOTH CARDS HAD THE SAME NETWORK PACKETS MISSING!!
>
> Ok, so apparently there's still something wrong with the packet capture
> stuff. 8-/

Definitely it must be, I even tried to use various packet capture
apps, tcpdump, ethereal, tcpflow, you-name-it but always the same

> >After measurement with the 2 cards it is clear to me that the
> >loss doesn't come statistically like from bad reception/too weak
> >signal for some tuner/decoder or by random dropping by the kernel going
> >running low on input buffers. if it does, then 2 cards would
> >easily cover the missing 10-20% of missing packets.
>
> Yes, I agree. Sounds like a driver bug. Perhaps some of the budget
> driver gurus can comment on this.

Imagine my surprise, I was almost sure that combined packet dumps of
both cards would capture everything and when I found no improvement from
such setup, I thought one card must not be working so I compared the
packet capture dumps in the hex viewer and in my surprise,
they had missing stuff on indentical places

Emard