[linux-dvb] Re: Quality of dvb-kernel in upcoming 2.6

Hello Emard,

MMmm seems interesting, now I got one idea around this, namely
when using budget-patch I first load dvb-ttpci because it
loads the firmware and then remove dvb-ttpci and load budget-patch (both of them react on the same PCI:id of course, bacause they are two different drivers for the same card)

Even though I'm not using most of its sophisticated functions, firmware is good to have loaded because of diseqc.

Now, can I load dvb-s firmware from the budget-patch directly, that would be much better than loading and unloading dvb-ttpci ?
In theory, yes. I'm planning to split up the av7110 driver into several parts. I can split off the firmware loading stuff to one separate file, that can be compiled and linked to the budget-patch driver, too.

I think that would be the best solution, but I don't know when this will happen.

Hmmm I should also be getting 100% good reception on weather with no rain.
When it rains heavyly, some weaker transponders (radio harmony.fm on astra
tend to get packets missing, but stronger transponders like ZDF are still
100% even on bad weather)
Same for me.

The crc-checking code is currently broken in 2.6, but I don't know if network stuff uses crc-checking by default.

You might want to try to "makelinks" the dvb-kernel driver, because there have been fixes that I haven't sent to Linus yet.

I see! (before I had just patched the kernel)
Yes, then you should use the "makelinks" script to replace the kernel driver files with the CVS files. As I said earlier, the firmware patches are non-functional at the moment, but I'm working on it today. The author of the "firmware_class" subsystem has sent me a patch this morning that I've to test.

Probably something within in the network device subsystem, which has changed in 2.6. recently. Probably this is a bug in the driver which did not look bad in 2.4...

:) some lucky mix of circumstances in 2.4 gave that nice behaviour.
dvb0_0 went away as if it were ppp0 disappearing after modem hangup :)
Yes, probably.

This is the insofar the investigation (on 2.4)
[...]
I got to the point that I applied 2 cards in parallel (antenna goes to LNB IN of budget-patch and from its LNB OUT signal goes into LNB IN of normal budget card) and, imagine, BOTH CARDS HAD THE SAME NETWORK PACKETS MISSING!!
Ok, so apparently there's still something wrong with the packet capture stuff. 8-/

After measurement with the 2 cards it is clear to me that the loss doesn't come statistically like from bad reception/too weak signal for some tuner/decoder or by random dropping by the kernel going
running low on input buffers. if it does, then 2 cards would
easily cover the missing 10-20% of missing packets.
Yes, I agree. Sounds like a driver bug. Perhaps some of the budget driver gurus can comment on this.

(end of network saga episode, to be continued)
Emard
CU
Michael.