[linux-dvb] Re: Interesting DVB-T issues

Interesting...

> do you mean that the newer values are correct and the older ones aren't
> or the opposite?

Well, ITV 2 wouldn't play at all in mythtv before (seems like there were no
pids, but I didn't check), but with the updated settings it seems to play OK
now...  Also, even mplayer BBC ONE and TWO now play with instant audio and
video sync... (ie the several seconds usually needed to sync video, aren't
needed...)

> In its current  shape mplayer hardcodes LP, hierarchy and inversion to
> XX_DEFAULT;

Well, HP changed, and previously scan had returned LP as being nothing.  So
effectively I went from perhaps HP of 1_2 to 2_3 (I think?)

> there are 2 problems currently:
> 1) in DVB transmissions often there are huge preload times in the audio
> stream
> (such as audio_pts ~= video_pts - 5);  it's an old story, and mplayer
> resyncs after few seconds;

Well, BBC ONE and TWO now have zero preload time, and now VDR has no preload
time either.  Video and audio are instantly in sync on all channels.  I
think the only change was the new channels.conf which has different HP, LP
rates and PCR pids...

Does that make sense?

> 2) the pcr pid is totally ignored, so sync is made respect to audio (if
> I remember correctly);
> in mplayer-dev-eng of september there's a message by Arpi explaining
> this behaviour

Well, it seems to only tune using a tzap style file, so without any kind of
auto pid stuff then mplayer isn't even going to be getting the PCR data I
guess?

> I may fetch the pcr pid, and pass the clock to mplayer, but I don't know
> if it's worth doing it in g1
> and what/how much implications this change would have

Well, I will try changing my channels.conf for vdr and try removing the PCR
stuff, but something is allowing vdr to sync audio and video perfectly...

Interesting...