[linux-dvb] Re: First attempt with Nebula DigiTV card

On  2 Dec, Clyde Stubbs wrote:
>  I didn't go through all your message in detail, but two things
>  leapt out;
>
>  Forget about the "insmod" script - use make install in the build-2.4
>  directory, then use this script:
>
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-dvb@linuxtv.org/msg10969/dvb-nebula

Ah, thanks!  That looks much more sensible.

>  to start and stop the card (ignore the "tuner not loaded" message when
>  you stop it).
>
>  That script, BTW, is referenced by this short HOWTO:
>
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-dvb@linuxtv.org/msg10969.html
>
>  I didn't follow exactly this - I built bttv separately (but with
>  the patch).

Hmm, I've gotten into trouble after applying the latest patch I could
find - 2.4.23-pre7 - to the released 2.4.23 kernel.  I've just mailed
off to Gerd Knorr and will wait to see if he has any advice.

>  The missing /dev/dvb stuff confused me too - with the 2.4 kernel, without
>  the DEV_FS feature (or whatever it is) you will need to manually create
>  the special file nodes. IIRC, there is a script in the top
>  level of the dvb-kernel tree that will do this for you.

Following that, I had a look, but couldn't find anything there.  The
scripts directory is empty, too, BTW:

[root@posh dvb-kernel]# head CVS/R*
==> CVS/Repository <==
dvb-kernel

==> CVS/Root <==
:pserver:anonymous@linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv

[root@posh dvb-kernel]# ls
CVS                                     TODO            linux
HOWTO-get-a-new-card-running-avermedia  analog-2.4      makelinks
README                                  build-2.4       mediafocusII-2.4
README.alps_tdlb7                       build-template  patches-2.6
README.bt8xx                            convert.sh      scripts

I don't suppose you can recall, even vaguely, what the script or
command was called?

>  For testing, you will need to use the DVB utilities - find out what
>  frequencies you have locally, use scan to identify the PIDS, and
>  tzap to test tuning. Once you've tuned something with tzap you can
>  use dvbstream to grab some data, and view it with mplayer.
>
>  Note: some australian channels (at least SBS in Qld) are not on the
>  nominal centre frequency. you should be able to get accurate frequency
>  information from www.dba.org.au. If you're in Brisbane, I can send
>  you a file with the local channel info.

Thanks, though I'm in Sydney.  I really haven't got to the stage yet of
getting the hardware working.

>  Setting up the channel tables in Myth is then required, using the info
>  that scan got for you. This link will help (but is out of date, so
>  you have to ad-lib quite a bit)
>
>  http://www.hack.id.au/dvbsetup.html

Thanks.  Um, what's Myth?  The end-user application for tuning or
viewing the TV?

>  I haven't worked out quite what the channel number, channel id and channel
>  names are for, except that the id is the key that links the channel table
>  with the dvb related stuff.
>
>  To get aussie program guides, try this link:
>
>  http://www.onlinetractorparts.com.au/rohbags/xmltvau/index.html
>
>  Install that BEFORE you run mythsetup. Which in the CVS is just setup/setup.
>
>  Have fun.
>
>  Clyde

Whew!  Thanks, I'll continue tomorrow ...

luke