[linux-dvb] Re: Dvb kernel w/Nebula chewing CPU time - SOLVED!

Hello Clyde,

Can you please prepare a patch that disables this interrupt pin for the Nebula cards? You can probably use the PCI vendor/device id to distinguish the device from others...

I feel inclined to do better than that - the bttv module is really for
analog cards - I think I might merge the relevant parts of the bttv stuff
(essentially the i2c code for driving the tuner) into the dvb bt878 module.
The bttv code already needs a patch to handle the Nebula card, so it will
be a much cleaner solution to merge it all into dvb.
I don't think that Gerd will be happy about this and code duplication is always a bad thing.

But I admit that something should be done here, because loading the whole Video4Linux-bttv-stuff wastes a lot of memory.

"bttv" should IMHO be separated just like the saa7146/av7110 driver in "dvb-kernel":

A "bttv-core" that does basic stuff and stuff common to all cards (ie. device recognition, i2c and gpio handling). Then there ca be a "bttv-v4l" part that does all the stuff "bttv" currently does for analog tv cards.

Then the "dvb-bt8x8" can use the functions from the "bttv-core" to driver the dvb cards without the Video4Linux stuff.

I admit that I don't know if there a corner cases (ie. some weird cards) which don't fit into this scheme.

I'll see how I go over the next week....
Clyde
It would be cool if such a separtion can be done in the long run.

CU
Michael.