[linux-dvb] Re: SOLVED: skystar2 rev 2.6B drivers working?

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:28:56 +0100
Norbert Schechner <schechner@lycos.de> wrote:

> The card is working, but with a poor image quality on moving objekts (steps)

I don't know what you mean by "steps", so I guess:
- objects in motion have border that look like a comb; this is an interlace
problem, try deinterlacing (key "i" with xine, I think)
- objects in motion are not detailed and composed of squares; this is
an MPEG compression artifact, the channel you're watching is broadcasting a
low quality stream, there is no solution (keep in mind that a channel
which appears good on a TV may appear bad on a PC because PC monitors
are much better so defects are more visibles)
- objects move "by steps" and not gradually; something is wrong with the
timing of the decoding process (CPU too busy, damaged MPEG,...)

> and if I change channels, xine does not react any more after 10 to 20 times
> changing the channel. I think this is not a problem of xine, because even
> after killing all xine processes, and restarting the programm I am not able
> to watch TV, (no Data Stream). Also it is not possible to rmmod dvb-core,
> because it is busy. (using insmod.sh unload).

The skystar2 driver can be compiled with debug turned on (look at the source)
and has some module parameters. Debug info could be useful to understand
what is happening; send it to the list if you need help with its interpretation.

   Roberto Ragusa    r.ragusa at libero.it