[linux-dvb] Re: ANN: dvbtextsubs-0.2 (now with VDR support)

tarass@club-internet.fr wrote:
Le 01/12/2004 11:34 AM, Dave Chapman a joliment écrit :

Hello,

Just a quick note to say that dvbtextsubs-0.2 is now available from

http://www.linuxstb.org/

Thanks for your work !!

I have the following problems :

1° I haven't french letters in the xml file:
This is a bug - not all teletext code pages are dealt with correctly in dvbtextsubs (I think only English, Swedish and Spanish). I will fix this before the next release.

2° How use this xml file with mplayer. I mean I encode with mencoder the vdr file and I loose the subtitles as mpencoder doesn't deal with them.
How to put the subtitles back with the encoded file ?
The best way to use this xml file with mplayer/mencoder is to use dvdauthor and spumux to create a DVD structure on your hard disk and then play/encode that using mplayer/mencoder. The README file included with dvbtextsubs should help you with that - it should be easily scriptable.

Alternatively, you could write a script which converts this XML file into one of the many other subtitle formats supported by mplayer, or add support for this XML format into mplayer.

Hopefully future versions of mplayer/mencoder will support DVB teletext subtitles directly (i.e. perform the same job as dvbtextsubs internally).

3° A vdr file doesn't begin exactly at the begining of the movie, if you cut the useless begining, are the subtitles still syncro, or hox to make syncro again ?
If you cut the VDR file first, and then run dvbtextsubs, then hopefully the subtitles should still be OK. I haven't tested this though.

What isn't dealt with is if you cut commercials out of a VDR recording. I'm assuming that this results in (for example) a 4 minute jump in the Presentation Timestamp (PTS) values in the resulting stream.

Regards,

Dave.